Monday, April 9, 2012

Design Inspiration at Lucketts!

As many of you know, my hubby left Saturday morning for a couple of months overseas. He wasn't scheduled to leave again for another month, so the suddenness, and gravity of where he was going this time, hit me a little harder than usual. And maybe because Easter was the next day and our son's birthday party is this weekend. Departure day always sucks - but this one was crappier than usual.

As he drove off to the airport, we headed in the opposite direction toward Pennsylvania, to spend the holiday with my in-laws. On the way, I stopped at a place I have been dying to check out - The Lucketts Store, in Lucketts, Virginia. I needed some retail therapy.




And wow, did that place lift my spirits! I mean, seriously, I was feeling happier as soon as I drove onto the grounds. It was absolutely packed with people, and had a festival atmosphere. They were selling food on the grounds, music was playing (I think. Or perhaps all the coolness of the joint made me hear music in my head?), and people were milling about looking at rustic, farm treasures, funky garden urns, and refurbished finds. They even had baby rabbits for sale! You bet your chocolate bunnies that Saxon begged for one of those - but it didn't happen.



I found a few items I plan to use to decorate a spring table-setting (more on that to come).

But, in the meantime, I wanted to share these photos of things that absolutely whet my design whistle! Oh how I want to redo my whole house!! That's not going to happen anytime soon either, but a girl can dream.



I want a hutch. I had hoped to find an old girl in need of a makeover someday, like the top photo (obviously this one has already been made over). Then I fell in love with this beauty above. Less country,  more french. I could see one in my dining room, the other in my living room. Oh, how to choose!

On to wall-hangings...


Okay, I find these girls kind of creepy. But, I was still drawn to them. It's like the ugly sister is glaring at the pretty sister. The more I look at the photos, the more I want to hang these in my house, just for conversation starters!


They had a selection of really large-scale horse paintings/photos/illustrations. This white beauty was stunning! I would love this in an all-white room. This photo does it no justice - they are simply amazing in person.



Proof that not everything inside an antique shop will look like something from your grandma's house...these completely cool, driftwoody structures add a sense of modern architecture and rustic charm at the same time. Love them!


I was excited to see this shelf, as I found something similar recently (but smaller), at a consignment shop. My piece is actually from Pottery Barn, not antique, but it's distressed like this. I'm saving it for my powder room makeover.




This selection of old doors and shutters were outside, aging beautifully in the elements. I've seen lots of cool-looking projects online for using just these types of reclaimed pieces in your decor. For anyone who's been in my home, our great room has a huge 2-story wall that I just don't know what to do with. It's a big, blank slate, and I would love to put up some kind of funky, old-door installation. But, that's a project I am not ready to tackle. But, when the time comes, I know where to find fabulous doors!





Above: More furniture that made me drool!

Below: The drooling continued...


Hello pooch!



This would make quite a statement in the front yard, but HOA would have a fit, for sure!



Loved this chandelier! And the design house featured large, brass numbers all over the place. I thought it would be cool to hang those above Saxon's bedroom door, with his birth date.



This reclaimed wood farm table was beautiful. Notice the foot? I'm not understanding the foot thing. That is one thing you will NOT find in my place. Ever. I don't care how trendy it may become.



These long plant-holders on the other hand - loved them!



And this mirror was amazing. Perfect for a large wall. I adore them.



And since you know I am all about the birds, both live and in my decor, I just had to snap a pic of these playful little parakeets. How fun to walk into this room and hear these little guys tweeting! Again, another boost to my spirit! I really would love to buy a beautiful cage, and have a couple of colorful finches in my house.

I saw room after room of things that made me smile at The Lucketts Store. And they got my creative juices flowing for my next paint project. Until then, here's hoping you run into things to make you smile too!





No comments:

Post a Comment