Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A simple Welcome Sign

Looking for an easy-to-make "Welcome" sign? I made one today and thought I'd share the simple steps.



First, find an old kitchen cabinet door. You can get them a few places. Try searching Craig's List - a lot of people give them away for free when they are redecorating. Or search your local Habitat for Humanity restore. (find a list of stores here)

Then paint it to your heart's desire. I used Annie Sloan's chalk paint. Here's a video of Annie on The Hallmark Channel doing a tutorial.

The next thing I did was apply a Simply Said vinyl "welcome" design. And here's a video showing you how easy they are to apply. This is so much easier than the way I used to apply designs or enhancements to my painted furniture, which comprised of time-consuming transfers or stencils.
Here's my Simply Said website, where you can order a welcome design. I think this would be a great idea for personalizing with your family last name and the date you moved into your home, i.e. "Peterson Est. 2010."  Or even a sign for a wedding, with a design that says something like, "Matt and Nikki, April 21, 2014."  You get the idea - the possibilities are wide open!

My last step was to drill two holes through the wood with a standard drill bit, and run a ribbon through for hanging. Voila! A simple, fast way to spruce up a front door, entrance, or anyplace in and around your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment