Saturday, May 24, 2014

Applying a Simply Said vinyl design to chalk painted furniture

When I was painting a lot of furniture, I loved putting designs on them. Chevron was very popular. So was anything french, Paris or script-inspired. It still is. The problem for me, was that I was relying on stencils to achieve the look. With stencils, I always had a little paint bleed-through and could never achieve the crips, clean edges I desired. Transfers were another option (using tracing paper to imprint a design onto a painted surface), but they took forever to fill-in with paint. And again, my hand wasn't steady enough to get the crisp edges I wanted.

BUT NOW - there's a solution to the edge issue. And a big time-saver. It's vinyl designs. I just applied my first Simply Said design to a little side table and I LOVE it! It took a whole 3 minutes to apply!



Here's the easy steps to applying the design:


1) I applied it over a piece that was painted with Annie Sloan's chalk paint in Old White, with clear wax.

BEFORE




 I ordered the design in a grey color that looks a lot like Annie Sloan's Paris Grey. Look how pretty it is!



Next, I laid it grid-side facing up and ran the application tool across the entire surface to rid it of air bubbles.


 Then I began in the top corner and slowly pulled the grid paper back and down to remove it.


Next, I laid it over my table.


Then I used the application tool again by running it over the whole surface to remove air bubbles and flatten it to the table.


I started at the top left corner and pulled the paper back and down to remove it slowly.


And there she is! Pretty!


It really looks like its painted on! I couldn't be happier with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment