Thursday, October 11, 2012

Making a Sweater Pumpkin

I've seen sweater pumpkins all over the internet and Pinterest. They are adorable, especially when made in several colors and textures. And they look so easy. Guess what - they are!

Last night I was in my closet preparing to go to bed. I spied a sweater I've been hanging onto since last year, even though it wasn't even close to fitting. My mind immediately went to the images of the cute, plump pumpkins from the net. Before I knew it, I was cutting it up.


First, I cut one side of the sweater out. As you can see, I cut around the arm openings.


Then I scoured my house searching for something to stuff it with. Ideally, you would want to use fiber fill or craft stuffing. I didn't have either. But, I had an old body pillow from my preggo days 6 years ago. It's just been sitting in a closet, so I thought, "let's tear that baby open!" CRAP! The stuffing inside was a mixture of shredded up paper, styrofoam and craft fill. What a mess I made pulling handfuls of it out!

After I plopped down a few handfuls of stuffing, I gathered up the edges and wrapped my hands around what would become the pumpkin stem. (Wow, I need to work on my photography skills - suddenly the sweater is grey!)


Then I tied a long piece of twine tightly around the stem.


Next, I took the long pieces from the stem and wrapped them down along the sides of the pumpkin and tied them at the bottom.


And like wrapping a Christmas gift, I then wrapped them back up the opposite sides, and made the final knot on the stem. This gives the pumpkin its ridges.


Next, I cut another piece of twine. And wrapped it up, up, up the stem. I knotted it off and that was it!
I also trimmed the tops of the sweater from the stem, so there wouldn't be so much hanging off.


I had the other side of the sweater, so I made a second pumpkin. I love the rustic, hand-crafted look of these pumpkins - they just feel like Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment