Friday, March 14, 2014

Handmade for the Garden - time to craft for the outdoors!

Even though its only 30 degrees outside, I know Spring is knocking on the door. Even some of the trees are sprouting little buds. I wouldn't doubt that green shoots will be out of the ground soon. So, what better time to start crafting items to enhance my outdoor space!

And I have the perfect book to help!

Handmade for the Garden, by Susan Guagliumi. Published by STC Craft | A Melanie Falick Book.



This new book publishes next week and includes 75 do-it-yourself projects for all kinds of pretty and functional backyard goodies - like mosaic pots...


and newspaper pots for starting seeds...


or self-watering planters made from recycled garden hoses...


even a rustic arbor or trellis for your climbing roses and plants!


I especially like this hardware cloth garden basket project - perfect for hauling in my freshly picked tomatoes.


There's a section of the book that even includes projects for making gifts from your garden, like garlic braids.



And what I really love about this how-to book is that it doesn't shy away from the seemingly more challenging DIY - it teaches readers how to experiment with cement & hypertufa to make bowl-shaped flowerpots and box-shaped planters, or pretty stepping stones and decorative pieces like bird-baths. There's also a section on bending and shaping copper to make ornaments for garden stakes or fence posts. And for those readers who prefer the very basic, there's simple projects for stamping and stenciling pots. The point is - there is something for absolutely every garden enthusiast and every level of maker in this book!

The photos by John Gruen are gorgeous, and the writing is clear and precise. And the author, Susan, is a doll. Seriously, what a nice woman! Just check out some pics from the gardens outside her home!






Susan's kitty, Buster! (you know I can't resist sharing a photo of a pretty cat - especially one enjoying a bird bath!)


Lord - I'd love a raised bed like this full of tomatoes!  Guess what - there's a project in the book for making these grapevine coiled tomato towers!

I just love Handmade for the Garden - it combines so many of the things I adore - crafting, gardening, and a general appreciation for the outdoors. Now to choose my first task!



No comments:

Post a Comment