Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend Yard Sale Swag

Of all the things I love about living in Haymarket, yard-saling is not one of them. Damn gated communities. Seriously, there's little to no yard-sale activity in this town, because its filled with gated communities. My community doesn't even allow yard-sales. And it seems the others have a once-a-year community-wide sale, and then the remainder of the summer is a yard-sale ghost town.

So, that means I have to hit-up local cities and towns to find a bargain. I spent Friday on Craig's List trying to decide where to go. And since I am not from Virginia, I have to map quest everything to see what kind of drive I am talking about. This is too much work. I like the good 'ole days of driving around town and just discovering endless neon-colored signs pointing me in the right direction. Boo!

At any rate, I was all ready to go at 7 am yesterday, in hubby's truck, with an address for a Fairfax flea market. Then I realized, "crap hubby doesn't have GPS in his truck!" So, I had to get into my SUV. That changed my game-plan. Without an open-bed truck, I wasn't likely to walk away with huge amounts of furniture. So, why drive all the way into Fairfax? I changed gears and decided to try a closer town called Warrentown. I found a few sales on Craig's List. They were a bust. Except for the freebie plastic Transformer action figures Saxon scored for a quarter. On a side note - taking Saxon yard-saling is the easiest shopping trips EVER! He can sit and look at books or the quarter-toy bin and find something that makes him so happy - and literally only cost me a few coins! Gotta love that.

So, we drove into Old Town Warrenton. I hoped to get into their Salvation Army there. It was closed for the weekend. Of course.  Then we just drove aimlessly - looking for the brightly colored intersection signs with arrows. We found one, and jackpot...it led me to a town-home community sale! And here I discovered a lot of great stuff, at equally lovely prices!


A gigundo area rug. It had never been used before (and it really does look brand new). The lady gave it to me for $45. I thought that was a steal, considering how much a rug of this size costs new! I don't think I will keep it in this spot, as I have a french-script rug from Ballard on back-order. But, for now, this rug does the trick.




This was the only furniture I found, but without my hubby's truck it didn't matter anyway. These pieces fit into the back of my SUV with that big ole rug! I love the Asian chest. The lady, who was probably in her 30's told me she bought it at an auction when she was just a teenager. It has some expected wear-and-tear, but otherwise it's in good shape. I don't even think I am going to paint it. The red is awesome! I'll clean up the brass, and see if hubby thinks I should keep it. Otherwise, it will be for sale - so stay tuned! The other two little tables will definitely get paint jobs and be posted for sale soon!




Cool clock, huh? The face is what caught my eye. I'm going to paint the body and distress those great edges, so they show through. It will have so much more oomph!



Birds! Imagine how pretty these will look when the frames are painted Old White and lightly distressed!



This cheese tray is going to make a gorgeous decor piece or terrarium after I am done!



Cute little mirror for a girl's room! It's already painted and pretty!



I have a thing for carved ducks. These decoys are the real deal, too. Not mass-produced from a home-store. They are signed by the carver, and I have to decide if I want to add them to my flock, or find a new home for them.



Slightly rusted, but in otherwise good shape, this aluminum planter box will look pretty when she's all painted up! Wait and see!



Dinged up and scratched Pottery Barn frame waiting on a little paint.



Shadow boxes! Going to get a bright color of paint!



This note board/picture frame will look beautiful in Old White too! (can you tell I am a sucker for the antique white color!)



I couldn't pass up this old peg rack for a dollar! It too will be painted!

So there ya have it, my weekend finds! If you ever want to go yard-saling with me in the Northern Virginia area, email me. Next on my list of adventures is trying out some auctions!

No comments:

Post a Comment